Recipe: Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
Making a healthy breakfast can be difficult if you are cooking for a picky eater or want to keep it healthy. Well, there are many ways to incorporate fruits and veggies into every meal and make it tasty too! Here is one of the great breakfast recipes that we love here at Chiropractic First of Iowa. It’s easy and sooo good!
2 cups rolled old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups almond milk
1 large egg (or 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed)
2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas (1 mashed and 1 sliced)
1 1/2 cups fresh quartered strawberries (divided)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (divided)
additional strawberries, bananas and milk for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add in milk, maple syrup, egg, coconut oil, vanilla and mashed banana. Stir well to combine.
3. Gently fold in 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 of your banana slices and 1/8 cup of chocolate chips.
4. Carefully pour oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish.
5. Scatter the remaining strawberries, banana slices and chocolate chips on top.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the middle of the bake is set (it might still be slightly wet from the strawberries but that’s okay). The top/edges will be golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. This will allow the baked oatmeal to set a bit more. Portion and serve. Top with additional fresh strawberries, banana and a splash of milk.
Here are a few tips to keep it for another meal and how to reheat!
Storage: Store baked oatmeal in the fridge in an airtight sealed container for 4-6 days.
To reheat: Add a portion to a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warm throughout, about 1 minute or set oven (or toaster oven) to 350° and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until warm. Top with extra almond milk, if desired.
Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe (2/3 cup - 1 cup)
To get help with how to eat heathier in your everyday life, stop in and talk to Dr. Davis or Jamie and they can help you get your eating habits on the right track!