Tips for Making it Through an Iowa Winter
Updated: Mar 1
Living in the Midwest has its ups and downs but it’s definitely a great place to call home. Here are a few tips to remember during the wintertime to make things a little more bearable and maybe even fun!
1. Always wear insulated gloves, a hat, and a scarf. Protecting your extremities is important. Frostbite can occur in just under ten minutes.
2. Always wear a heavy coat. It keeps you warm and protects from wind!
3. Layers. Layers. Layers. Layers are always good because when you get warm you can always take them off and put them back on.
4. Take care of your skin! Make sure you are putting on lotion and chapstick when possible. The cold air can cause cracks and you want to do what you can to prevent that.
5. One that people never think of is to use warm blankets and flannel sheets. This can cause a warm bed at night, leaving you able to turn the thermostat down. Energy saver! Yay!
6. Always keep a vehicle emergency kit in your car! This should include:
blankets and towels
spare set of clothes for all family members
snacks that won't freeze
spare tire and jack
first aid kit
small tool kit
extra gloves, hats, scarves, etc..
proper car oil and empty gas can
pen and paper
7. Always check the fluids in your vehicle, whether you are going on a trip or the weather is changing to below zero.
8. Learn a new hobby inside. When it is too cold to go outside you may get bored inside. A good way to be productive and keep yourself busy is to learn something new and try something you have never done!
9. Keep up on the vitamins. Especially during the winter, vitamins cans be very beneficial to you, like vitamin D to help boost the immune system.
10. Keep the house stocked up on food, especially the essentials. You never know what mother nature is going to do at the drop of a hat.
11. Spend time with others whenever you can. The wintertime blues is a real thing and staying happy and healthy is very necessary to get through a long, and cold winter that sometimes never seems to end.
For more tips on how to make it through the winter visit Chiropractic First of Iowa at 4242 Gordon Dr., Sioux City, IA 51106 or Call to make an appointment today. You can also visit us at our bookings page or our Facebook to schedule an appointment!